Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Special Report: Galco's Old World Grocery and Rose Petal Soda


So, a while back, I saw this lovely documentary.  I fell hard for the store, its proprietor, and its stock.

I promptly sent the link to my friend Matthew, who is in film school in LA.  Not only did I think he'd get a kick out of the short film, I was hoping he might be able to visit the store someday and allow me to live through him by reporting back.

After a little time passed, he did indeed fulfill this wish of mine.  In fact, Matt eventually sent me the following photos and message:

We went location scouting for my first cycle film (we make three the first year) at a succulent nursery and I realized we were pretty close to Galco's. I sheepishly suggested we go and my crew didn't scoff at the suggestion and they ended up loving it!


Later still, there were two more emails from Matt, one with more photos. They said, simply:
OMG! did that you tube video mention his candy selection ? ! !
and
I'm conducting a informal taste test right now!

Let's gape at the candy selection through Matt's eyes.





















 



Wow.

I had also shared the original documentary with a few other people.  To my delight, my coworker Paul bought several bottles of the rose petal soda and had them shipped to our office in New York.  He even gave a bottle to me.  How kind of him to share!

Once uncapped, the beverage was light and refreshing -- not too floral, by any means.  It smelled more like roses than it tasted, but the flavor was swell.  Here it is, moments before I drank (and savored) it:

Sweet Blossom


I love a beverage story with a happy ending!  I only wish I could have been to the store myself.  Galco's is certainly on my list of LA landmarks to visit on a future trip.


p.s. Matt also responded to the above video with the following clip.  I offer it to you as a bonus, though it has little to do with the rest of my tale.



[p.s. I'm posting this non-poetic post on a Poetry Tuesday because I'm pretty behind in blogging, due to my vacation.  I hope you'll forgive me.]

--------

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The candy shots remind me of Wayne Thiebaud's paintings! Rusty

Jennette said...

I had to look him up, but I see what you mean. Thanks for the reference.

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails