Sunday, July 26, 2009

Monkey See (brownies made into waffles), Monkey Do (make brownies into waffles).

Brownie Waffles topped with sour cherries

I am so suggestible.

It only took one blog post about making brownies in a waffle iron to convince me to do it myself.



This video was posted on Serious Eats at 11am. I unplugged my waffle iron at 9:55 pm and settled down with my last brownie. That's not a bad turnaround time.

The changes I made to the recipe?
  • I used instant espresso powder instead of instant coffee powder or brewed coffee.
  • I stirred the espresso powder into the melted chocolate and butter instead of into the wet ingredients that were mixed together in the recipe's second step.
  • I sprayed my waffle iron with cooking spray before each round of waffles. The video does not specify whether to do this once or before every batch.
  • I topped my brownies with leftover CSA sour cherries and powdered sugar.
  • I only had 5.7 oz of chocolate, and I think it was semi-sweet or milk chocolate (the label was gone), rather than bittersweet chocolate.

My ingredients (in case the video goes haywire):

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
5.7 oz (should have been 6) of whatever chocolate is wrapped in foil in the freezer (should have been bittersweet)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 T. water
1/2 tsp. instant espresso powder
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt

My waffle iron does not have power levels. It took about 5 minutes to cook two medium-sized waffles at a time.

No comments:

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails